Here’s a great Spring-y appetizer for having guests over or as part of a romantic picnic. It is also really good mixed with a little more olive oil and served over whole wheat pasta.
There is very little work here – the food processor does just about everything. No need to even chop the garlic yourself!
Once the beans, lemon juice, and herbs are roughly chopped, slowly pour the olive oil through the little top opening while processing until mostly smooth. If you have trouble gauging approximately 2 tablespoons by eye, you can use a measuring spoon instead!
After the bean dip is made, cover and place in the fridge for at least an hour. The longer the dip sits, the more the flavors come out. Plus, it is really refreshing served at a cool temperature.
Italian Herb White Bean Dip
Adapted from Giada De Laurentiis
1 can canellini beans (also called white kidney beans), rinsed and drained
juice of 1 large lemon
1/2 cup fresh Italian parsley leaves (a little bit of stems is fine too)
1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
1 tsp dried oregano
2 cloves garlic, peel removed
3 T olive oil, divided
freshly ground black pepper
1. Add beans, lemon juice, herbs, garlic, and 1 T of the oil to food processor.
2. Pulse until coarsely chopped.
3. Remove mini-lid on the top of the food processor. While processor is on, pour remaining olive oil slowly through the top.
4. Pulse until dip is a slightly rougher consistency than hummus. Add salt and pepper to taste.
5. Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.
6. Serve with raw veggies, crackers, or warm pita wedges. Tip for pita wedges: cut pita rounds into small wedges, wrap in a wet paper towel, place on a plate, and microwave 45 seconds or until warm and soft.