I really like roasted brussels sprouts, so when I found out that Trader Joe’s sells shaved brussels sprouts, I thought they’d make a great warm salad. This dish contains more fall-ish flavors, but I made it on a cooler night recently, and it was perfectly comforting and refreshing at the same time!
The lemon-miso dressing gives a zesty kick to a somewhat bitter vegetable. You can find miso in the refrigerated section of the grocery store, often near tofu and health food products.
This salad is very easy to throw together: just toss the three veggies in the simple dressing, roast for around 30 minutes total, and add pumpkin seeds.
Roasted Brussels Sprouts Salad
1 bag shaved brussels sprouts
1/2 medium red onion, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
Juice of 1 lemon
3 T white miso paste
3 T water
1 tsp dried tarragon
1/4 cup shelled pumpkin seeds (either raw or roasted would be good)
Sea salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400. Rinse and drain the brussels sprouts. Add to a large bowl and stir in the onion and celery.
2. In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, miso, water, and tarragon. Pour the dressing over the vegetables and toss to coat evenly. Add as much salt and pepper as you like.
3. Pour the mixture into a non-stick sprayed rectangular baking dish and roast in the oven for 20 minutes.
4. Stir and put back in oven an additional 10 minutes, or until the top is golden brown.
5. Top with pumpkin seeds and serve warm.