I’ve always liked the idea of brunch, but in reality it often leads to a sluggish, lazy day and no room for lunch. Which is fine on occasion, especially the day after a big night out. But sometimes you still want to exercise and accomplish things on a Saturday morning! So, here is a lighter take on classic brunch favorites like omelettes and quiche, and it’s dairy and egg-free! Extra-firm silken tofu takes on the taste and texture of scrambled eggs when sauteed with tumeric and nutritional yeast. Tumeric gives it the yellow color, and the yeast gives it a cheesey flavor.
I served my scramble with a smoothie made of beets, mixed berries, bananas, oats, and peanut butter. I found it to be the perfect compliment to the scramble. Bonus – after this meal, instead of wanting to go back to bed, I am energized for today’s yoga class!
Tofu-Mushroom-Kale Brunch Scramble
1 T grapeseed oil
1 tsp garlic powder
12oz Extra firm silken tofu
1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
2 large kale leaves, stem removed and torn into bite-sized pieces
2 tsp nutritional yeast
1 tsp tumeric
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
Sea salt and pepper to taste
hot sauce (optional)
1. Heat the oil and garlic powder in a medium sized skillet on the stovetop at medium-high heat.
2. Add the block of tofu and break into approximately one inch pieces with a wooden spoon. The less perfect the pieces look, the more they will look like scrambled eggs!
3. Stir in the nutritional yeast, tumeric, cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper.
4. After about 5 minutes, add the kale and mushrooms. Cook until the kale is wilted and mushrooms are tender.
5. Add additonal salt and pepper and hot sauce if desired.